market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on selling more eggs, when only one doz displayed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Brabo <mdbrabo AT att.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on selling more eggs, when only one doz displayed
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:51:57 -0500

Wyatt,

I can empathize....   Our farm has had difficulties with the whole PHF-Potentially Hazardous Food (eggs, meats, dairy, baked goods with eggs/milk, etc) issue with a county health department near our metropolitan area here in Missouri.  Similar requirements for "Commercial" refrigeration.

At a Health Department meeting one farmer had print outs of both the County and State Food Rules/Regulations, all 200-250 pages. When this farmer spoke up saying that the county's Powerpoint presentation and words/rules did not line up with the printed laws/regs, the law the County rep said they were moving towards implementing Federal Guidelines "since we're all heading in that direction anyway."  Several county employees said that their rules were "to protect children, seniors and grandchildren."

I considered a class action lawsuit for discrimination because some citizens (Amish) do not use mechanical refrigeration and thus their "enforced rules" are discriminatory.  The issue is not primarily about food "safety" but rather control.  The large AG companies and grocery stores have margins so thin that small, direct-sales farmers are hurting their bottom line.

In the end my family decided to drop selling at 4 Farmer's Markets, to 7-8 restaurants, and a couple grocery/health food stores.  So we no longer sell to the general public who the health department "protects".  We are a PRIVATE Co-Op/CSA having a private contract between individuals and we don't cross state lines.

Wish you the best,
Mike