market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Parsnips
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:10:46 -0400

Rivka said:
>Maybe in Virginia yours are trying to grow all winter and that's why
>they get woody in midwinter?

I suspect that's true. It is widely said that digging them in late
winter or early spring is good. We tried that here and they were
definitely woody! Whereas when I grew them in the north of England,
leaving them overwinter was fine.

Pam

Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production
on a Few Acres
www.sustainablemarketfarming.com
www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming