market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Parsnips
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 11:53:24 -0400

On 13-04-29 10:47 AM, Pam Twin Oaks wrote:
> I have not used an EarthWay seeder for these. We station sow by hand,
> with three seeds every 3". The seeds are surrounded by a papery disk,
> making them a challenge to sow on a windy day - they like to float
> away!

That's a pretty important point. The papery disk makes them practically
impossible to sow with my Jang. I did bought pelleted seed, but parsnip
pellets are much larger than, say, carrot. So none of the disk I own
actually works (perhaps the G12 would), and the pelleted seeds tends to
jam in the chute anyway. Because of that, I will hand seed parsnip this
year. Fortunately, I only do a 1000' of row!

--
Etienne Goyer - Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com