market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 123, Issue 23

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 123, Issue 23
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:58:02 -0400

Rob,
We don't have a separate greenhouse, and use our tunnel for cool season crops, so buy most of our transplants.  We're also certified organic.

Here's our experience:
We buy flats of certified organic transplants from $8-12 each, though it would make economic sense for us to pay considerably more.

Lower amount if we furnish the seed, or some of the transplant labor.  Highest amount if we only place the order and pick up the plants.

We've bought in quantity from Young's Mill farm in GA.
See their website here: http://youngsmillfarm.com/.  Also from Deep Grass Farm in DE; http://www.deepgrassnursery.com/Prices1.html.  Both certified organic.  Their current prices are higher than what I get locally.

I must provide my certifier a copy of the organic grower's own certificate.  One more piece of paper, and some transplant growers charge a flat fee for this document.

Hope this helps,
Richard

   1. transplant pricing (Rob Wallbridge)

Message: 1