market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Home and farm insurance recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Home and farm insurance recommendations?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:21:40 -0500

In New York, Farm Family and Nationwide.  I think Erie Niagara also, but they are reputed to be more picky about what the place looks like.  We have farm/home property and liability, umbrella liability, and vehicle though them (and they know the vehicles are used commercially).  One of the first things I did when starting to farm was switch auto insurance to Farm Family for business use coverage.

Am looking into forming an LLC, and actually have been advised to form two: one for things that happen on the farm (equipment, CSA visitors, farmstand visitors) and one for things that happen off the farm – vehicles, farmers market, off farm CSA.  If I remember the explanation correctly, with just the one, someone could go after our retirement assets, but if we have a multi-person (put daughter on as 1%), with the property and house in that one, it would protect that.  Of course, that means paying to set up two LLCs rather than the one, and going from none to two. But, I have retirement assets from previous worklife to protect, and the property/house is paid for so is an asset.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion where the finish line is. - unknown