market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:56:12 -0500

I'd not trust rosebushes to keep out either.  If they end up being the path of easiest resistance, the larger animals will follow the trails through the rosebushes made by some smaller mammals.
I think of Brer Rabbit, who "was born in the brier patch!"
Over time, the lower rose canes die out, and the younger canes have grown on top of these old ones.  When the lowest ones rot out, there are some tunnels in what looks above as an impenetrable, thorny thicket.  It's amazing to me the multiflora rose thickets my dogs and others will go through, if that's the best way at the moment. Where I couldn't see a path, but they worm their way through.
Your mileage may vary, but the vicious thorns on my land have some gaps.