market-farming - [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Digging Dogs and Feral Hogs, Anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:23:48 -0600

Hello,

We're embarking on a project to reinforce our farm's perimeter fence. It is
currently 4' field fence, which has worked well on coyotes and other non-deer
larger mammals. However, we have a problem with digging, particularly from
the local pack of vicious dogs. We need to find a way to keep them out, and
since I'm modifying the fence anyway, we want to also exclude feral hogs. We
don't have them yet, but they've been spotted in the vicinity, so it's only a
matter of time until they find us. What damaging behaviors and solutions
have you experienced with respect to feral hogs?

More detail: Our perimeter has a variety of micro-environments, so it may be
a hybrid design works the best.
- Some areas are heavily vegetative. We don't plan to modify these areas at
this time, as the vegetation is doing a good job of exclusion and we say if
it's not broken don't fix it.;

- in other areas we have purposely planted rose bushes and other low growing
plants which will do a good job of exclusion once they are more mature. In
these areas we might need to do some chicken wire "elled" at the bottom of
the field fence and extended out a few inches and stapled down to prevent
digging until roses and other plants mature, hot wire not a good idea due to
vegetative load.;

- and in other areas we have bare ground where vegetation is not growing due
to heavy forest shade, for example. In these areas, not quite sure whether a
hot wire or a barrier mesh similar to above is a better solution. We know
mesh works against digging dogs, but not sure about hogs. Thoughts?

My question to those who have dealt with feral hogs and fencing is how,
specifically, they damage and/or breech fencing? Do they ram and break it,
do they dig under it, or what?

Note: please don't suggest poisoning, shooting, or trapping. We have
thoughtfully considered and ruled all three out for a variety of reasons. We
feel that exclusion is our best option and are looking for guidance on that
specifically.

Many thanks in advance,

Laurie Bostic
Owner/Farmer