market-farming - [Market-farming] Bottom watering trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bottom watering trays
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:40:18 -0500

Title: Bottom watering trays

I have been searching for good bottom watering trays to be used on a plant starting rack inside the house.  I bought a bunch of “Perma Nest” trays about five years ago but made the mistake of using them for bottom watering in the greenhouse and after about two seasons they became brittle from UV light exposure.  Half of them have holes in the bottom and no longer serve for bottom watering.  Way too expensive for no longer than I’ve had them.  There is a product called a “giant garden watering tray” available through Greenhouse Megastore that looks tempting.  It is wide and long enough to hold four 1020 trays, looks durable, and would fit perfectly on my plant starting rack.  At $18 a pop it doesn’t look that bad. I would still like to use them some in the greenhouse where UV deterioration is a concern.  Has anyone tried them?  Will they hold up in the greenhouse and be worth the money?