market-farming - [Market-farming] Custom Growing in the Greenhouse, media testing & good reference for making mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <artisanfarms AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Custom Growing in the Greenhouse, media testing & good reference for making mix
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:04:02 -0500

Hi,

I've been approached by several customers to do some custom growing for them in my greenhouses this spring. Some will provide seed and others will be getting varieties that I already plant.  One will be taking whole trays, either 50 cell or 24 cell, the other will take several hundred plants, but at most 10-15 of any one variety.  Most of the plants will be in the house for at least 5 weeks and be potted up 1-2 times. I'm trying to figure a fair price and am curious as to what others charge for this type of service.

I'm also curious as to other's experiences with custom growing, especially as you get beyond onsies and twosies for a few customers and systems you are using in the greenhouse to track different customer's plants.

The next question this morning is media testing.  Which labs are you using and how frequently are you testing your soil mix.

And finally, I'm looking for a good reference for learning more about making custom mixes in the greenhouse and doing the math for nutritive charge in the mix.  I make different mixes depending upon how long the plants will be in the greenhouse, but want to get smarter about what I put in each and also start making a better long term organic mix that I can use with container plantings of herbs, salad bowls and decorative plants.

Thanks,

Andy

  • [Market-farming] Custom Growing in the Greenhouse, media testing & good reference for making mix, Andy Fellenz, 01/31/2013