market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave or Kathy Campbell" <dkcampbell AT southslope.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hops
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:33:57 -0600

I always grow some on my windmill each year--~a dozen vines that climb twine up to the first scaffold, maybe 12 ft.  Pick them in the fall when they turn brown and have lots of nice sticky orange resin in the cones.  I sell the cones to beer brewers at my local farmers market, $5/oz.  Know what variety of rhizomes you have, because that translates to “alpha” and “beta” values that the brewers will want to know.

Rebecca Kneen has written a nice manual on small scale-hops growing that you can download for free at http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf.

==Dave Campbell / Tiffin IA / Zone 5b