market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Starting Onions in ground

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Starting Onions in ground
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:50:26 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

While I haven't started from seed, we do plant Dixondale onion plants (Candy, SuperStar and Red Candy Apple) in one of our movable tunnels every spring.  We also plant half a high tunnel with onions too.  This way we have our risk spread out between inside and eventual outside production. We plant them towards the end of Feburary, but with a new baby due at the end of February/First of March, I am going to move that up to early February.  We move the tunnel off the onions in late March to early April (depending on the weather). Then we transplant in Zucchini and little Cucumbers in the next movable spots.

We get some really big onions starting in late May to early June and then eventually have them all pulled by early July.

It works for us, but this is with plants and not from seed.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com