market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] I need the perfect spinach planter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] I need the perfect spinach planter
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:37:54 -0600

I have heard very good things about the 4-row pinpoint but mostly in terms of lettuce and all the brassica family greens.  Not sure how it does with spinach.  My guess is that it may not be well suited to get the spacing you may want for full-sized spinach but might be great for baby-leaf spinach.  I bought a Jang a few years ago and one of the crops I was especially wanting to use it for was spinach because of the skipping and bunching problems with the Earthway.  I cannot report definitively on results with the Jang, however, because about this same time I decided to start using my paper chain pot transplanter for spinach.  Results have been so good with transplanting that I never followed through with using the Jang for spinach.  (Full disclosure: I'm the guy who imports and distributes the paper chain pot system from Japan.)  I prefer transplanting spinach because I always get perfect, uniform stands (with 4" in row spacing) regardless of field conditions (moisture and heat) because I can germinate the spinach in a germination chamber or my greenhouse or a cool place inside one of my old barns during the heat of summer.  Transplanting also helps with season extension in the spring.  Back to the Jang, I really like it for carrots and radishes so I expect it would do a vastly superior job as compared to the Earthway.  Among the direct-seeding options you listed, the Jang would be my vote.  It is certainly more expensive than an Earthway but it is vastly superior.  I've yet to swear at it!  Can't say that about the Earthway...

-John