market-farming - [Market-farming] Malabar Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Malabar Spinach
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:47:55 -0400

I've got a big TALL bed of malabar spinach that was forgotten in the greenhouse all summer.

I hear that malabar spinach is a preferred green in some parts of the world.

I have a hard time imagining that, but I'm happy to mind my own business.

A lot of the spinach has flowers. I remember hearing that it was no good if it had flowered (it still has big leaves) but I often error on the side of neurosis.

I'd like to know what the official position is on malabar with blossoms.

Also, if you grow it, how do you harvest it?

I think wikipedica says the end 2 ft of a vine is the crop but I know some growers harvest and bag the leaves.

Thanks,

Allan in WV who wants to get the malabar out of the greenhouse so he can put in some American food, like tatsoi

  • [Market-farming] Malabar Spinach, Allan Balliett, 09/19/2012