market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 01:22:48 -0400 (EDT)

I went ahead and signed up for this particular service, and so far I'm cautiously optimistic.  It sounds a lot like what you've described below.  I create my own "fresh-sheet" for any given week, with whatever products and quantities we have available.  I also set my own retail price, my own wholesale price, and what minimum volume folks would have to buy to get the wholesale price.  I liked that last feature quite a bit.  They have two days of deliveries (Tues/Thurs) and I have to get product there by 10:30 the morning of a delivery if it needs to be delivered.  But I can also direct customers to pick up there.  I already have some folks in that area so that's handy.  I get paid when I drop off, and customers pay when they pick up, with a fee charged for handling the transaction.  Another nice thing is that they have three different levels of membership, where the higher the membership, the more "bells and whistles" come with it but at higher cost.  Things like auto-invoicing and monthly sales reporting and other features which don't matter much to me right now at our micro-scale, but would become more important as our sales added up.  I'm still fuzzy on some of the details but I'm working through their FAQs and figuring it out as I go.

I'll keep folks posted.  We're doing a better job of finding our own customers lately, but it's been a very slow buildup.  This may help us reach more folks, with less effort per new customer.  I'll be curious to see whether this new food hub listing out-performs our Local Harvest listing.  I've gotten some window-shoppers through the latter, but only a few actual customers.  We're also involved with two different informal bulk-buy groups, which have also given us a few customers here and there.  I guess it all adds up.  The food hub claims to reduce the amount of effort required for producers to gain new customers.  We'll see if they live up to that particular advertising claim.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA