market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] anyone working with a food hub?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:27:24 -0700

We are involved in something like that-- SixRiversMarket.com

This is a local online system where local producers advertise what they have to sell, can set quantities available that the computer system keeps track of while people order. Customers order anytime Friday through Monday the specific items from the specific producer that they want. The producer gets it to the distribution center with the label for each customer on each item (or one package for each customer--producer's choice) on Wed. early afternoon and customers pick up late afternoon to early evening. The producer is paid when they deliver to the hub, and the customers pay either online or when they pick up that day.

It started as a non-profit co-op, but wasn't run well and was given over to a businessperson this spring. We are in the process of rebuilding our customer base. Each producer sets the price for his own product, can add, subtract, change prices at any time, but if it is during the order cycle, the manager has to update it from their end. The market takes 6 percent from the price set by the producer, and adds tax and I think percent from the consumer as well.

We drop off product on our way to Farmer's Market and if we have ordered anything ourselves, we pick it up after market. The nice thing is we know what is sold before we even pick it. The downside is if we only have one order we still have to get it there, but it is only a couple blocks from Wed. market and during the winter we can either keep going or take a break.

I don't know how Local Orbit works.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!