market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dealing with baby grasshoppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dealing with baby grasshoppers
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:04:24 -0400

That's ARBICO.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com> wrote:
I use a product called Semaspore Bait. It is readily available on the net. It is in the form of what looks like small oat flakes. Don't know exactly what it is but it works. It's organically approved. It works by starting a disease that spreads in the hopper population. Grasshoppers cannibalize other hoppers that are injured or sick, thus spreading the illness. Needs to be re-applied after heavy rain. I try to always have a bag on hand in the spring. I broadcast handfuls throughout the place. Not on the actual food.
It is VERY important to keep hopper habitat under control. I spend a lot of time weed eating all grasses and non crop veg. numerous sources price this product differently. ARBIC is a good source for a lot of organic resources for pest control from ladybugs and preying mantis to nematodes. Check them out:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/semaspore-organic-grasshopper-control/pest-solver-guide-grasshoppers-crickets

Good luck,
Todd Lister
Veribest Farm