market-farming - [Market-farming] Popcorn Sheller

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: andrea davis <andrea.m.davis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Popcorn Sheller
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:19:54 -0700

    I'm growing popcorn for the first time this year and it is looking beautiful!  I had intended to just sell it by the ear to my CSA but now I'm thinking it would great to sell it at farmers' market too.  I was thinking I could still sell it by the ear but then put it through a hand crank corn sheller right there at the market.  I am wondering if anyone on this list has done something like this before and if they have any advice or suggestions?

    Also I have looking to purchase a hand crank corn sheller.  Most our priced around $270 like this one from Lehman's but then I found one at Pleasant Hill for $80, seems like a big price difference and of course I'm leaning towards the cheaper one.  Any popcorn sheller recommendations?

   I'm also trying to figure out how to make a box to hold the sheller and an efficient way to operate it at the market.

Thanks in advance to everyone on the list for your help,

Andrea
Quarter Acre Farm (that is truly 3/4 of an acre)
Sonoma, CA