market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 07:04:18 -0400

Kurt - I had an amazingly disappointing experience with a 600 ft
planting of a heat tolerant Asian choi a couple of weeks ago.

Although the plant could have germinated overnight, after a week I
only had a couple of stretches of a few inches of plants. When these
started getting torn up by flea beetles at an astonishing rate and
when this happened to a SECOND seeding, I realized that the flea
beetles were apparently eating 100% of the plant (eating the whole
plant) before I even saw it emerge!

I seeded some trays with the same seed and got 100% germ, to prove the point.

Now I'm trying to get up my nerve to put these plants out into those
same beds, but with surround, hot pepper wax, cedar, garlic and
remay...all things we've already proven we can't totally depend on.

Use to be, I seem to remember, that flea beetles went 'dormant' in hot
weather.

-Allan in WV