market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato suckering, if and how

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato suckering, if and how
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 18:56:17 -0700

I always sucker my determinant tomatoes. The degree of suckering depends on your soil and the variety. If your soil produces big lush growth then sucker to the first flower cluster. I prefer to leave one sucker below the cluster. Suckering increases the percent of extra large fruit. I can sucker about 4 plants a minute. Its time and labor well spent... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ