market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planet jr seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planet jr seeder
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:15:45 -0700

Tom,
I have been thinking of doing the same--using the push seeder instead of the tractor-mounts. The reason I haven't is because the tractor mounts keep all rows equidistant automatically and I don't have to walk in the beds. What is your take?

Don,
My buddy set his push Jr at 4 for Nantes carrots and loved it. No thinning. He didn't think it was too sparse, but I didn't see it. The recommended #8 will give a hugely dense stand, I think even on the tractor. I ran #5 or #6 on the tractor--it may have been a little sparse, but that may be because 2nd on the G was too fast. I am still getting used to the seeders on the tractor. I suggest doing different rows (and/or 1/2 a row) at different settings just to see what you like. Let me know what works out for you--maybe you come up with a better way. Pelleted seeds depend on how much coating they have.
Beets vary greatly in size, so my Chioggia started at #18, and I am down to #14. Blankoma I increased from 10 to #13. Detroit and Early Wonder I am running at 16-18. I have plenty of ground and not the highest fertility, so I would rather spread stuff out rather than plant very thickly and have to thin heavily. Anybody else have numbers to throw in the pot?

Vern