market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul Wiediger" <wiediger AT windstream.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:56:18 -0500

We do a lettuce only salad mix all summer long here in South Central Kentucky in our high tunnels.  We seed every Monday, water it in well, set drip to run anywhere from 6 to 12 hours depending upon how hot and dry both air and soils are.  Goal is to have the top of the soil stay moist for about 72 hours.  If so, very good germination on seed.  We then drip irrigate about every 48 to 72 hours depending on conditions with the drip running about 4 hours. Beds are 42 inches wide, 4 rows of drip tape, emitters every 12 inches, 8 rows of salad mix per bed. Fairly good yield, though not as heavy as fall/winter/spring.  Crop is harvested once only in 17 days.  We fertilize twice a year, spring and fall using Replenish, a 3-4-3 OMRI listed ‘organic’ fertilizer made out of heat composted chicken layer litter.  Rate of application is about 15 to 20 pounds per 100 square feet per application.  We’ve been growing in the same high tunnels since 1995 - 2000

We also do head lettuce, with Jericho, a green romaine doing the best for us.

Paul

Au Naturel Farm

Rocky Hill, Edmonson County, Kentucky