market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:45:39 -0400

In the brief time I have to post this lets throw this out...

We have found that the chefs we deal with love a seasonally changing mix of salad.  Everything is seasonal salad mixes should be also.  As to competing against Cali mass produced.  We aren't.   *IF* you are supplying a local market with properly cooled and handled mixes and greens your product should CRUSH the mass produced stuff.  Our chefs order the trucked stuff on Thursday and toss it on Monday if not used.  If they are purchasing from us they can order in smaller quantity at a much higher price because it LASTS seven to fourteen days.  So they can order week to week rather than twice a week.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855