market-farming - [Market-farming] Fruit Tree Grafting, Propagation and Scionwood Exchange

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fruit Tree Grafting, Propagation and Scionwood Exchange
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:19:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Friends,
Feel free to share this with potentially interested friends or networks.
Thanks,
Keith
Fruit Tree Grafting and Propagation:
March 17, 2012  10 am – 4 pm
Willow Crossing Farm, Johnson, VT

Join us for a day of hands-on fruit tree grafting. We’ll begin the day in the classroom understanding the science of grafting, and bench-grafting apples, plums, and other stone fruits. After a farm-sourced lunch, we’ll go out and ‘top work’ multiple varieties onto pears, apples, plums, and other stone fruit. We’ll discuss some pruning basics, different grafting strategies for ‘fruit salad trees’, healing damaged trees, reworking new varieties, revitalizing old orchards, enhancing cross-pollination, and space considerations.  We’ll look at and evaluate both successful and failed past grafts.

We’ll contextualize our work in briefly telling some history of our farm and touring our incredibly diverse collection of nuts, berries, vines, nitrogen-fixing plants, and regenerative DIY farm infrastructure.
We’ll also explore the incredible history of grafting, the range of grafting possibilities, and practice with professional grafting tools which make for more successful grafts by novices and experts alike.
Each attendant will leave with an apple variety of their choosing on semi-dwarf or standard rootstock, or a stone fruit variety of their choosing on native american plum rootstock.
$25-100 sliding scale includes light lunch, cider, and your own grafted fruit tree to take home. No one will be refused for lack of funds.
Details about a St. Patricks Day dinner, drinks, and live traditional music to follow the event will be announced soon.

We’ll also be offering this event again in April.
Please RSVP here or register at:

Zach Leonard is a master horticulturalist and as been the farm manager of Elmore Roots Nursery for more than a decade.  He and his family have created High Hopes Farm, a diverse off-grid homestead.

Keith Morris has been collecting and experimenting with rare fruits, nuts, and medicinal plants since 1996, and is professor of ecological design at the University of Vermont.  He’s slowly built his family’s farm debt-free with sweat-equity and has worked contributing to resilient and diverse food systems on 5 continents.

Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
[www.ProspectRock.org]
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith AT ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129
PRP_Logo.jpg
"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

  • [Market-farming] Fruit Tree Grafting, Propagation and Scionwood Exchange, Keith Morris, 03/06/2012