market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] early tomatoes--was Long Day Tomato Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] early tomatoes--was Long Day Tomato Seed
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:01:56 -0800

One grower here uses a lot of "Fourth of July", a 49-day hybrid from Burpee and seems to do well for them in the hoophouse in our cool climate. I am going to try some this year. Prairie Fire (breeder Fisher's Garden Seeds claims 52 days while Irish Eyes claims it as 50 days). Irish Eyes also carries Subarctic Plenty (40 days) and Siberia (40 days). Usually the short-season tomatoes are shorter on size and flavor than the long-season varieties.

Vern