market-farming - [Market-farming] seeding/transplanting greens now

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "'High tunnel discussion list'" <HIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] seeding/transplanting greens now
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 21:49:39 -0500

I have some spaces opening in my hoophouse and have a new winter market starting up Jan. 12.  I will have spinach, don’t know if the cut Asian greens will regrow by then.  Lettuces are mildewed and being torn out.  Have any of you seeded winter greens inside under lights and then transplanted them out to the hoophouse in late Jan or Feb? I am wondering if having them under long day lights to speed growth will cause them to bolt when planted out into short but lengthening days.  Also wondering how to harden them off. I appreciate learning your experiences.

I seeded some tonight, along with a tray of popcorn shoots, a tray of pea shoots, and a tray of microgreens.  Planning a little wheatgrass and more microgreens.

Have a Merry Christmas all.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

  • [Market-farming] seeding/transplanting greens now, Beth Spaugh, 12/24/2011