market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Italian Long Hot Peppers
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:28:09 -0600

On Dec 8, 2011, at 7:55 PM, <sunnfarm AT netscape.com> <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
wrote:

> I found the best of the best Italian type long hots to be Mesilla F1.
> Fruits average 1" wide by 10" long. I generally can fill a bushel basket
> from 4 plants. I have never seen a more disease resistant variety.. Bob.
> Sunny Meadow Farm

Bob, I saw that one, but all the descriptions list it as a cayenne type. Are
you selling it into restaurants or elsewhere as a pickling pepper? Did you
let it go to red before picking?

Maury - thanks for the tip on the Jersey Long hots, will add them to the
trial.

Bill, you're right about the selection process. It appears from looking at
the jar they showed me (link below for your entertainment), that they are
using red ripe peppers that on the label, at least says, peperoncino, from a
particular region. Calabrian peppers (again a regional Italian pepper) are
the rage in culinary circles these days. All the requestors want them red,
not immature. Not all are asking specifically for the Calabrian, but
generally for the long hots.

I did ask an Italian seed company for help. I'll report back to the list next
year once we set up, conduct and evaluate the trial. Any other thoughts or
leads are appreciated. If anyone wants to play along and conduct a trial in
their region for their market, email me & I'll be glad to share the variety
list we decide to start with.

Here's the link to the kind of peppers one of the chefs is looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Calabrian-Chili-Pepper-Long-1Kg/dp/B004G1PVQC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_2

Kim
NE Texas who is having much much more fun figuring out peppers than she did
fixing drip tape all summer in the drought