market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Holding Jerusalem Artichokes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Holding Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:49:35 -0500

---- Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info> wrote:
> The best way I have found (in MA, not Dominica) to keep J.Arthichokes long
> term (3+ months -- and I have had some keep for 9 months) -- is to NOT
> wash or remove the protective dirt coating -- just put them into plastic
> bags in fridge.

I agree. I put some like that in my frig last year and they got pushed to
the back, and we didn't find them again until a few weeks ago. Except for
mold on only two of the tubers, all were fine for planting and already have
several inches of root growth on them.

Right now the ones we dug two weeks ago are covered in their own dirt, in a
crate, inside a big plastic bag, and sitting in the stairwell (coolest area)
of our root cellar since we got a few under 30 degree nights and I didn't
want them to freeze. All are still crisp, and we'll be eating them over the
next few weeks.

Bobbett, KY/zone 6