market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Holding Jerusalem Artichokes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Holding Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 15:36:20 -0400

The best way I have found (in MA, not Dominica)  to keep J.Arthichokes long term (3+ months -- and I have had some keep for 9 months) --  is to NOT wash or remove the protective dirt coating -- just put them into plastic bags in fridge.  They cannot be wet when you bag them, but also cannot be dried out.  Most maintain fine quality this way although they somehow know when its time to start growing again and undergo textural and taste changes you wouldn't choose.  Freezing and thawing cycles make them rot.

Good luck.

Karen

ROOTS FARM
Organic Produce