market-farming - [Market-farming] High Tunnel roll up sides question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] High Tunnel roll up sides question
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:00:32 -0400

Anyone,

I have three high tunnels, 2 that are 24 x 96, one that is 24 x 48 that has roll up sides. I do not like the commercial version if the roll up sides, to drafty does not keep out the col. One of the 24 x 96 tunnels has the 6mil cover off, growing Kale, Broccoli, Lettuce, Beets and Turnips in there now..so I am not worried about the frost. The plastic was attached at the bottom with channel and wiggly wire. I want to put two layers on for the winter and come up with inexpensive roll up sides. So I thought I would attach the two layers at about the same level as the 24 x 48.Then attach short sides of 6mil plastic in a new strip of channel and wiggly wire at the top mounted just bellow the top layers. My uncertainty is how to attach at the bottom where the short  bottom piece at the bottom.I have looked at roll-bar caps that attach the poly to 1-3/8" pipe. Anyone familiar with this method? I want to be able roll the sides up when there is to much heat by myself. any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Scott

--
Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

Live like you will die tomorrow… farm like you will live forever !