market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Effective control of Galinsoga

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Gilman <stevegilman AT verizon.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Effective control of Galinsoga
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:03:02 -0400

Andy -- my commiserations -- what a scourge!

Galinsoga is truly a zero tolerance weed for growers and this has to be impressed on farm workers. In my experience cultivation doesn't work -- it needs to be ripped out by all its (dense and greedy) root system -- and completely removed, not composted -- preferably hung out to bake in the sun on a shrub or such. Left to lay on the ground it readily re-roots and it's innocuous little-daisy-type flowers are a copious seed producer -- with long term seed germination viability in the soil. And it's a very greedy heavy feeder -- robbing crops of nutrients.

Plastic might help, as long as you can keep the sides and planting holes clean. Stale seedbed works when they're very small. When they're bigger scheduling worktime blocks dedicated to search and destroy has real payoffs...

best,
Steve