market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Basement washing and storage facilities--what to include?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Basement washing and storage facilities--what to include?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:43:19 -0400

In addition: if it's practical to make a ground level entry wider than a standard door, I'd do that. You might want to be able to at least get a large size garden cart through there easily.

However, there are certainly days I'd sacrifice a wide entry in exchange for heat and hot running water!

Oh yes -- make the whole space as mouse tight as you can.

And think about where you'll put packing tables and scales, where you'll store crates and packing boxes etc., how produce will move from one place to another, how more than one person can work at a time while minimally getting in each other's way, and how the lighting needs to work so you can see well when sorting.

Fresh-market organic produce, small scale; barely adequate packing shed