market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New crop for Au Naturel Farm's high tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New crop for Au Naturel Farm's high tunnels
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:18:00 +0000

Well, that was a difficult decision.  We asked a friend who manages a natural food co-op in Lexington, KY, about pricing, and they sell organic ginger – mature of course – from Peru for $5.99 per pound.  So, we decided to price ours at $4.50 per HALF pound, which sounds like a lot less than $9.00 per pound. I would imagine in a larger “city” market, one could get a lot more.  But, at $9.00 per pound, it should still turn a tidy profit.  And, I have to admit, we just liked growing something that cool! Not to mention it freezes well, so we can use it all winter – ginger beer, ginger ale, pickled ginger, candied ginger, ginger syrup, ginger cake, ginger in our tea….

Alison