market-farming - [Market-farming] New crop for Au Naturel Farm's high tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'High tunnel discussion list' <HIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>
  • Cc: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New crop for Au Naturel Farm's high tunnels
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:50:37 +0000

Paul and I grew a new high tunnel crop for us this season.  We are definitely not the first to do this, but it is so exciting we wanted to share it with all of you.  We grew ginger.  Now, not the mature ginger with a skin, and sometimes a lot of fiber most folks are used to buying as fresh ginger, but baby ginger.  And like so many other produce crops, baby ginger is almost like a totally different crop.  It is tender, skinless, juicy, and, maybe most important for our farmers market stand, incredibly beautiful.  Paul dug our first harvest Friday, a total of about 8 row feet.  Cleaned and trimmed, we had about 28 pounds – 3.5 pounds per row foot. And, it is still growing.  At  harvest, it had been in the high tunnel about 100 days (although it was started in crates in our greenhouse in March).

We have put a few pictures up on our website, and plan to add additional pictures showing the growing process later.  It has been a joy to grow, and was a lot of fun to sell at the market on Saturday. Customers really did a double-take at locally grown ginger in South Central Kentucky!  When you have time, take a look:

http://www.aunaturelfarm.com/High-Tunnel-Ginger.html

And, if you are interested in more information, we bought our planting stock here:

http://www.eastbranchginger.com/

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm