market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] On the topic of hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] On the topic of hoophouse
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:03:20 -0500

I've been to a workshop the Kerr Center sponsored to build the hoophouse
using those plans that Tod and Jamie Hanley developed and I can say it works
very well--better than the commercial hoophouse I have for far less money. I
would personally never put up a commercial hoophouse again. My commercial
hoophouse cost me $300 as I bought it used (plastic and climate control
measures extra) and--even choosing between those two options (cheap used
commercial hoophouse & new DIY hoophouse), I'd choose the DIY. It's not
suitable for EVERYTHING....I need more heating in one of my houses and my
commercial hoophouse works better for that since I can double-up my plastic
and air-insulate in between the layers. But as a hoophouse for season
extension, it's da bomb.

Leslie Moyer
unschooler AT lrec.org
www.ShadyGroveNaturalFarm.com