market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Too many farmer's markets?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Too many farmer's markets?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:44:23 -0400

I find it amusing that they are saying this about Farmers' Markets and NOT things like Biggs, Krogers, and Walmart...or TV Shows...or the number of Cable Channels.

Supply and Demand economics will work in this situation.  Here locally, we had the largest Market hike its prices and they saw a bunch of fairly well respected growers leave.  You would think that would be disastrous for both sides of the coin, but in the end a new market was started that is doing well and the older market got new growers that were willing to pay the fees or in the case of a couple big draws negotiated a MUCH better deal.

In our area we simply have to few growers for all the small markets and we were asked by several to attend this year.  We simply do not have the time and prefer to spend most of it growing and harvesting.

Now if those farmers did deliveries to chefs or retailers the same day they did markets the value of the market to them would become different.  Its certainly not for everyone but something to think about.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855