market-farming - [Market-farming] Diatomaceous Earth and Moisture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Diatomaceous Earth and Moisture
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 06:28:26 -0400

Hi!

I'm having the worst outbreak of squash bugs I've ever had (or heard of, really)

In the 100+ weather with very high humidity, I've hesitated to use row covers over late plantings of cukes and squash.

I've lost several of these plantings to hordes of squash bugs who suck the juices out of seedlings as soon as they emerge.

I just read that a table spoon of diatomaceous earth around the seed hole will deal with squash bugs (or diatomaceous earth scattered around the base of mature plants, especially on plastic mulch)

I've never really understood if diatomaceous earth can operate if it gets wet, which it would here in the high humidity.

After being convinced that it was useless when damp, I learned about the sprays that actually contain DE, so I have to assume I'm wrong about this assumption.

But I'd like to hear about your experiences with DE in the field and, maybe, with squash bugs, before my next planting.

A planting is a terrible thing to waste

Thanks

-Allan in WV