market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market continuity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market continuity
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:30:35 -0400

On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:16 PM, <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> wrote:

I sell produce at a winter farmers market in Rochester, NY as well three summer markets in the same metro area. I am on the board of directors of the winter market and we have been debating whether or not to have markets scheduled for the entire 52 weeks of the year; i.e. synching the winter market with the summer markets for a full year presence. Some think that having that kind of continuity keeps people coming back to us and not going to other outlets (like grocery stores). On the other hand, some think that we need a break (it would afford me more time to plant veg and field crops in May). Anyone have any experience with that or thoughts one way or the other?

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522

Do you require all vendors to come to all markets?

If so, I suspect you would lose some people. If not, I think the question is whether you can get a reasonable number of vendors to show up every week, even if it's not the same vendors every week. I expect you'd also need an alternate manager, if you don't already have one.