market-farming - [Market-farming] market continuity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] market continuity
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:16:13 -0700

I sell produce at a winter farmers market in Rochester, NY as well three
summer markets in the same metro area. I am on the board of directors of the
winter market and we have been debating whether or not to have markets
scheduled for the entire 52 weeks of the year; i.e. synching the winter
market with the summer markets for a full year presence. Some think that
having that kind of continuity keeps people coming back to us and not going
to other outlets (like grocery stores). On the other hand, some think that
we need a break (it would afford me more time to plant veg and field crops in
May). Anyone have any experience with that or thoughts one way or the other?

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522