market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato varieties
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:46:17 -0500

Title: Re: [Market-farming] tomato varieties
I swear by my pink “Blossers” and Showalters, Shenandoah Valley family heirlooms which stand right up there alongside of my “Old Germans” (also a Shenandoah Valley heirloom) and yes the universally known “Brandywine”.  Also another rising star is “Lydia’s Orange” an oxheart shaped potato leaf which, unlike many oxheart types, has a sturdy stalk.  “German Red Strawberry” has a wonderful fruit but a not so wonderful woefully wimpy stalk which is about as easy to trellis as a pumpkin vine.  I keep on growing a few despite its vices because of the fruit.  In general any tomato, heirloom or hybrid, will be quite good if grown and ripened right.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

On 3/3/11 11:08 PM, "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net> wrote:

Our favorites are Paul Robeson - black, Pineapple - bi color, Pruden's Purple - pink, Juliet - grape, green zebra and Goliath hybrid for market red.

> What is anyone's favorite-tasting tomato? My wife's is Tangerine. I
> still like Brandywine. Thanks.

Mac