market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato varieties
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:31:45 -0500

Tomato flavor can vary considerably with exact location, even within the same area.

I don't get particularly good flavor here from Sun Gold, or from Rutgers; and I have tried the Fedco strain. I used to get good flavor from Rutgers, many years ago, in a different location.

My favorite is Mrs. Horst's Oxheart, but that isn't going to help much, as nobody's got it but me and Mrs. Horst (and, now, an additional person is offering it through Seed Savers' Exchange). I like Peacevine (Fedco or High Mowing) for a red cherry tomato and Lemon Drop (Seed Savers, it's back in the regular catalog this year) for a yellow cherry. Seed Savers regular catalog also has the original Amish Paste strain; some other strains of this seem to have gotten mixed with something that's smaller and doesn't have as much flavor. I also grow Persimmon for a large yellow (Turtle Tree or Territorial) and Pink Brandywine; and am still stuck with Big Beef for a standard large red. I'm going to trial Wisconsin 55 this year.