market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BBC News - Local labels on many foods are false, study suggests

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BBC News - Local labels on many foods are false, study suggests
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:33:44 -0500

On Feb 26, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Mike Rock wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12582056

Food for thought.

Mike

Interesting.

Apparently there is a legal definition of "local" in the UK (see the end of the story Mike linked to).

To the best of my knowledge, there's no legal definition of the word in the USA. Does anyone know of one? (We have a definition in our market bylaws -- but that's just rules for those particular markets, and other markets in the area define it differently. Groceries seem to define it any way they please.)