market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Monsanto owned seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Monsanto owned seeds
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 21:56:17 +0000

Another extremely important consideration, in my mind, is productivity. The name of the game, after all, is making a profit.  In our particular market, we cannot sell heirloom tomatoes for any higher price than we can hybrids (and we are pretty good at marketing), and their productivity level is 25% or less of the hybrids.  So, we'd have to get at least four times more money for them.  A good tasting hybrid, grown well, in good soil, will rival the taste of most heirlooms, be better than some, and we can actually make a profit with them.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Sent from my iPad