market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix Farmers Markets
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:22:27 -0500

Unfortunately it gets worse than simply allowing resellers and resellers misrepresenting themselves as growers. At the Yellow Springs market here in Ohio, they have strict rules prohibiting resellers, then allow their insiders to ignore the rules while shutting out whoever they please, including people like me who produce everything they sell claiming that they already have too many produce vendors which is not true, in fact there are times when there are no produce vendors at the market and some don't even show up every week.   The claim that there isn't enough room it true but the board has blocked every attempt to expand the market when there is a street which could be used not 100 yards away that is hardy used on the weekends (Its in front of an elementary school) that has been repeatedly proposed and would be perfect allowing everybody plenty of space so its obvious that the real problem is the protectionist favoritism they espouse and the political clout they have in the town.   There are people on the board who sell at the market who are complicit in this, they know whets going on and some resell themselves.  Its pretty obvious if you look for it, for example the raw milk vendor, which is illegal in this state and as such violates the market rules that state the law has to be followed, sells cheese which blatantly labels itself as being produced in Pennsylvania.  Not only that they attack the free markets, sometimes in the newspaper (although one of the vendors does resell a small part of their wares when its out of season they are at least honest about it) claiming the free markets undercut their supposedly legitimate market rather successfully using the false claim that they are the ones taking the high ground when the complete opposite is true.   The fact that the newspaper has printed articles supporting these claims makes it seem complicit in these falsehoods which really makes me wonder. Then the friends and vendors of this fraudulent market target the vendors at the free market with harassment, sometimes making a stink right in front of the free market customers.  I've been threatened, screamed at, told I'm stealing the food out of the mouths of needy children and called every name in the book there, especially when I sold my bread, it attracted too much attention I guess.  The fact that it still sold while people were right there falsely claiming I was violating Health department rules might be a testament to the quality of the bread but still boggles the mind..  Anyway the behavior of the Kings Yard Yellow Springs market board is dishonest, illegal, and about as despicable as it gets if you ask me, why the county hasn't cracked down on them I'll never know.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really nice people in Yellow Springs but sometimes I feel like they should rename the place to "Soap Opera City", way too much drama!!  I believe in selling as local as possible but not enough to put up with that, life is too short.

Wyatt Jones

Jamestown, Ohio

Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
SeeRefinanceRates.com