market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting ground post, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting ground post, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:18:24 -0800 (PST)

Here is what I know...It all depends upon your soil.  I put mine in cement--they were not deep...only 18 inches--not really deep enough for my soil.  My neighbor put his four end posts in cement.  He lost his house.  I did not.  Our soil is sandy loam.  When it rains, then blows, everything loosens up.  I'm really glad I cemented all of mine...I didn't know any better, I read the directions and that is what it said, so I did it.  If I lived in Connecticut now where I grew up, I would NOT cement them.  My farmer buddies up there never do and even though they are on a hill where the wind can blow, they have never lost a house...but you are basically farming rocks where they live and I can't find a pebble most of the time.

So, anyway, do more, not less once you have considered everything.  It is a bummer to have  your hoophouse blow away.

Hattie Allen
Lewes, DE

  • [Market-farming] Setting ground post, etc., Harriet Allen, 12/01/2010