market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting or driving posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting or driving posts
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:18:04 -0500

To the person who asked about rebar stakes- we acquired 2 used
hoophouses, both about 20 x 40, in October 2008. One was the type
with driven ground posts and the other was the
rebar-with-hoops-sitting-on-top type.

They had both been up for several years through summer storms with
occasional 60 mph wind in clay soil. The rebar one also had either 6
or 8 auger-type ground anchors- we haven't put it back up yet so I
can't say for sure how many. They both had very solid plywood ends
built on them, which must have helped.

We put the one with the driven ground posts back up this spring and
even without end walls on it all summer it did fine. We had 13 inches
of rain in June, and 25 - 30 mph wind is quite ordinary here. The
hoophouse does have a bit of a windbreak thanks to its location. Now
that we finally have end walls put on I'm amazed by how much less
flapping the cover does...

In sandy soil, the cement sure does sound like a good idea.

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers LLC
z5, central IN

  • [Market-farming] Setting or driving posts, Burke Farm, 12/01/2010