market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Temporary electricity for inflation blower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Temporary electricity for inflation blower
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:19:35 -0500

It is my contention, and the engineers I worked for agreed, that catistrophic poly failure
is no more or less likely whether the poly is inflated or not. The large benefit of inflating is that
the constant motion and wear of the fabric is eliminated with inflation and the life is extended.
There is also some value of the insulation provided by the dead air space between the layers.

The Greenhouse Manuel, NRAES - 33 Appendix VII Electrical Data

 takes 5 amps at 120 volts 500 feet on number 6 wire.

 on  2 amps at 230 volts 500 feet on number 12 wire.

You are going to have to find a very special electrical person or
greenhouse engineer to get you the real numbers involved.

But buying a 700 foot cable is going to sting!

If a permanent electric service is going to be installed I am thinking that if it were me I would wait till spring, put on a single layer of 4 mil poly.and save the double layer  till I could inflate it on a much shorter cord.

MAsteveINE