market-farming - [Market-farming] Low temps for almost mature/mature Broccoli and Cauliflower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Low temps for almost mature/mature Broccoli and Cauliflower
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:02:32 -0800 (PST)

I am still harvesting broccoli and cauliflower that are outside with no protection. It has been a great fall/winter for these crops.  We have had low temps down to 18 degrees and they seem just fine the next day. I still have 15 plus harvest size heads of cauliflower and 30 plus heads and many more side shoots of broccoli left.  While it isn't alot, I would prefer to leave them alone as opposed to harvest and put in the fridge.

How do you think they will fair in the 16 to 18 degree range overnight with highs just  above freezing during the day.  Then 50's by the weekend?

Would covering them with row cover that isn't held up by anything help or hurt?

Last year I lost the tail end due to temps getting down to single digits for several days and the highs in the teens.   What a difference a year makes!

Thanks for any advice,

Jay
"Cold and Concerned Cole Crop Caregiver"

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com
http://highfarming.blogspot.com/