market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CORN under plastic / CORN on plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CORN under plastic / CORN on plastic
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:50:47 -0500

I haven't done it but I've seen it done on two farms. Our soil isn't always warm enough for corn the first of June. They don't remove the plastic until the corn is at least 6" tall. It's white from lack of sunshine and looks terrible when the plastic comes off. In a few days it stands itself up and is green.

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge ME 04492

Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:42 AM

Has anyone been doing this?

Starting early crop of sweet corn under plastic?

And/or planting early/late crop of sweet corn on black plastic?

If so, how did it work out for you?

I see lots of Mennonite farms doing the black plastic in southern PA
but I've heard from other farmers that corn doesn't do well on the
black plastic.

Thanks

-Allan in WV