market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dried beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dried beans
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:07:01 -0400

At this place for many many years  field beans were pulled by hand and

packed on study stakes which were taken into a dry airy storage to

complete the drying.

Threshing was a winter chore whether done with flails on the "threshing floor"

or taking the stacks to a trheshing machine.

Winter evenings after chores and supper and very stormy days were a time for all

hands to gather 'round the kitchen table and "pick over" beans

I followed that method on a few acres with my kids in 1980, learned just how many other things

there were for kids to be doing "evenings after chores and supper and very stormy days" but had

plenty to eat and a bit of cash coming for a couple of years.

At this time I am growing my own bean seed, drying pods to real crisp on a greenhouse bench and

threshing in a 5 gallon bucket with a stick.  Next I will be doing our eating beans.

MAsteveINE