market-farming - [Market-farming] ladypeas pricing?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ladypeas pricing?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:25:11 -0400

Hi all --

Some time ago I posted on this list asking about ladypeas, and a member very kindly sent me some seed.

Now I actually have some to harvest! I'm not sure if I'm going to get enough this year to take to market (they may just go to the one friend/ customer I planted them for, who is very pleased to have them); but in case I do get lots, it occurs to me that I have no idea how to price them. They look like they would take forever to shell out any amount; I'd be selling them in the pods.

For comparison purposes: for edamame here I'm getting 3.50/quart and 2.00 /pint; and shelly peas this spring I had priced also at 3.50 / quart and 2.00 / pint. The ladypeas look like they would take me longer to pick, but they're also going to take the customer longer to shell, I think, with fewer results for the amount of pods. Very few people around here are going to have any idea what they are.

Any ideas?

Thanks,